Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Five Movies You Need To See Before You Die

I was raised by my dad to love and appreciate great pieces of cinematic history. I've often felt like I was born in the wrong generation in regards to the type of movies, music, and literature I prefer. But trust me when I say that the movies I've listed here below are worth the time of any person at any time and of any age. I saw all of these movies before the age of 12, and dozens of times since.

These are classics that actually had story and plot-lines, fantastic acting, thrilling musical scores, and cinematography that didn't require "green screens" or CGI effects.

I've not listed them in any particular order, but I will start things off with my favorite movie of all time first:

1. Ben-Hur (1959) Starring the incomparable Charlton Heston




2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) Based on the autobiography of legendary British soldier T.E. Lawrence who helped lead the Arab Revolt against the Turks during WWI




3. Doctor Zhivago (1965) Epic and exciting tale of the Russian Communist Revolution, told through the eyes of a mild-mannered doctor and the women he loved. Based on the Nobel prize winning novel of the same name.




4
. Patton (1970) The definitive film on the definitive American general of the last 100 years. This movie won Oscars for Best Picture and Best Actor (George C. Scott)




5.
The Bridge Over the River Kwai (1957) British soldiers sent to blow up a bridge built by British soldiers held captive in a Japanese POW camp during WWII




Watch these films and you'll be a better person.